Team Mafia (2018)
The Team Mafia event circuit began its 2018 Season on January, 11 2018. Unlike previous event, Team Mafia 2018 was a project held by scummers rather than Site Staff. The winners of the previous event, Team Mafia 2015, team Young and Beautiful were invited to the tournament and promised a guaranteed team slot, which they accepted.
Enthusiasm for the event exceeded expectations, causing temporary halt to signups as the moderators of the event as well as the current Team Captains discussed expanding the number of available teams. Passing approval, Team Mafia 2018 was expanding from 12 four-player team slots to 15 five-player teams.
The first three games played to completion all led to Town wins, until Team Mafia 2018: Random GIFs resulted in a surprise win for scum. This catapulted the team Who is John Galt? ahead of all the previous all-town teams that had won. At this time, amendments and clarifications to Tiebreak Scenarios were being made as the event zeroed into its last ongoing game, Team Mafia 2018: White Flag which ended with a fourth win for Town. After 86 days of game play, the event ended in a decisive win for Who is John Galt? with a 5-0 record.
The event was played by 15 5-player teams across 5 different games. After all the players were accounted for, each team was given their role PMs in a Private Topic provided for the team. The previous year's winners were guaranteed a spot in Team Mafia 2018.
The moderators overseeing the event were:
- Ellibereth - Project Lead
- Jingle - Project Organizer/Head of Tiebreaks
The moderators chose setups within the types of games drawn out. It is notable that the two Normal games that were played were not balanced by the Normal Review Group, instead the moderators of all games worked closely together to ensure game balance.
No player blacklist or Wisdom of the Crowds rule was in place for the event. Unattributed alt accounts were banned from competing, although alts were permitted, with the Main account of the scummer made public knowledge.
Scoring and Tiebreaks
1) Score points were acquired through winning games, with teams that had won more games ranking higher than others.
2) At the end of the event, all teams that are tied were to be supplied to a link to a private topic containing the Day 1 of a secret Open-format game modded by Jingle. Teams that correctly ranked scum over town were to be awarded tiebreak points.
3) In the event of another tie, teams were to guess which players in the game were Power Roles.
4) A final tiebreak point could be awarded by a committee of the game organizers deciding which of the tied teams had the best overall performance across the entire tournament.
5) Teams that required help from the game organizers to find a replacement or were otherwise implicitly penalized lost a tiebreaker point.
- * Names in Boldface denote the team's captain.
- * & Symbol denotes that this player is an alt.
- * + Symbol denotes that this player was replaced while their assigned game was on-going.
The main account of each of the participating alts are as follows:
The following replacements occurred in the games:
|Name of Game||Type||Moderator||Winner|
|Team Mafia 2018: White Flag||Open - White Flag||MathBlade||Town|
|Team Mafia 2018: Random GIFs||Closed - Normal||mhsmith0||Mafia|
|Team Mafia 2018: Mafiosi Revolution||Closed - Normal||Ether||Town|
|Team Mafia 2018: Inventions Mafia||Closed - Theme||beeboy||Town|
|Team Mafia 2018: Magical Stories||Closed - Theme/Role Madness||Alisae||Town|
|Team Mafia 2018: Tiebreaker Game||Open - Backup6||Jingle||Town|
The Tiebreak procedure used involved all teams wishing to participate to view a snippet of an already completed game, up to the end of day 1, with no flip. Teams were to deduce from the events of the day who among the players were scum and town. Teams were given 48 hours to rank people in the order that they believed the players involved were scum, ascending to most likely to be town. A majority of points were awarded based on the scoring system if a member of the scumteam was in a team's rank 1 or 2 slot. Further ties took the highest and lowest positions of scum in the list into account. Four teams did not participate.