Purgatory is a setup for 9 or 15 players. Short phase deadlines (3 to 7 days) are recommended.
- Instead of day and nights, phases alternate between heaven and hell. The game starts with a hell phase. All phases have one-week deadlines.
- During heaven phase, the town votes to send one player to send to heaven. During hell phase, the town votes to send one player to hell.
- Town wins if the majority of scum is sent to hell, scum wins if the majority of scum is sent to heaven.
- Alignment is revealed upon being sent to heaven or hell.
- All scum, whether alive or sent away, can talk to each other at all times in the Mafia PT.
- Only townies who are sent to hell are added to the dead PT. Townies who are sent to heaven have a separate martyr PT.
- When 50% of the living players are scum, a Judgment Day occurs. All living players lose the ability to vote. The martyrs privately vote in the martyr PT to send a living player to hell. If the player is town, the Mafia win. If not, the game moves on to a hell phase.
- Compulsive plurality lynches! Ties are broken by checking whoever got their last vote first.