Voyeurs can be of any alignment.
The Voyeur has very few variants; however, there are many related Roles:
- The Tracker learns who a player targeted, but not what action that player performed.
- The Follower learns what action a player performed, but not who that player targeted.
- The Watcher learns who targeted a player, but not what actions were performed on them.
- The Voyeur learns what actions were performed on a player, but not who targeted them.
- The Motion Detector learns if any actions were performed by or on a player, but not what they were, or who else was involved.
A weaker variant of Voyeur learns if a player was targeted (by anyone other than the Voyeur), but learns neither who targeted them, nor which actions were performed on them.
A Voyeur is considered Normal on mafiascum.net, as long as it gives the results according to Natural Action Resolution/Normal Game. If a Voyeur is somehow blocked from their action (by Roleblocker, Jailkeeper, Rolestopper, Ascetic, or Commuter), they should receive a "No Result" pm, rather than a "did not see anything" pm. A Voyeur would not see a Ninja committing a kill, however, and would receive a "did not see anything" pm in that case.
Use and Balance
The Voyeur is one of the weakest investigative roles around. Its use is mainly down to being able to confirm or contradict claims at a later point in the game -- if a potential Cop claim claims to have investigated a player whom the Voyeur targeted the same Night, the Voyeur is in position to confirm or deny this claim.
Similarly, the Voyeur may be able to confirm the existence of certain types of claims (such as a protective role), without knowing who that role belongs to.
As a scum role, Voyeur can be used to determine what power roles are in the game, and perhaps by considering who would have that power role used on them identify who the power role is. This is still paltry compared to the result that could have been gotten via a Tracker, Watcher or Role Cop, though.
Target players who are likely to be the recipient of many actions. The information you receive may not be immediately useful, but may become more useful as the game goes on.