- This page has official status; unlike most wiki pages, it cannot be edited by normal users. If you believe edits need to be made, please bring them up on the talk page.
This page describes what is considered to be "Normal" on mafiascum.net. These guidelines are intended to enforce common expectations of games, such that all games called "Normal" are reasonably balanced and not deviant from what one would reasonably expect in a standard game of Mafia.
If you are moderating on mafiascum.net in the Newbie, Open, or Normal queues, your game must follow the appropriate guidelines below.
If you are not moderating on mafiascum.net, you are not bound by this page. You may, however, still find the setup rules helpful when trying to design basic Mafia games.
- In Newbie Games, only Mafia flavor is allowed, and Role PMs should follow the standard set by the List Mod.
- In Open, Mini Normal, and Large Normal games, flavor is allowed provided these rules are followed:
- All flavor should be public; flavor is not allowed in Role PMs. Role names should be standard, or non-flavored if original.
- Flavor should have no bearing on the game - it should be possible for a player to read only the role reveals posted with the death scene and gain all information needed to play. This information should be formatted to stand out from the flavor.
- Flavor not based on Mafia must be entirely original. Games based on books, movies, video games, sports, real people, or any other source material are classified as Theme Games.
Games run in the Normal Queue should satisfy the following rules:
- The game should have at least one Mafia or Werewolf group (of at least two members). A second anti-town group can be given a separate Mafia family name, or can be a Werewolf group. There should be no more than two mafia/werewolf factions, and no more than one Serial Killer.
- The game must contain at least one Vanilla Townie (allowed names include: Townie, Vanilla Townie, Townsperson, Citizen). A sample Role PM for the Vanilla Townie must be included in the rules post.
- Mechanics which are explicitly Non-Normal include:
- Those affecting a role's alignment (no Cults)
- Anything which significantly affects the core mechanic of majority/plurality lynches (no Kingmaker, for example)
- Anything resolving with a random element
- Post Restrictions (other than those included in the ruleset, such as "No quoting your Role PM").
- Lying to the players, including False Role Reveals and "Scum Masons"
- Night action redirection (no Bus Driver, Lightning Rod, Nexus, or Redirector)
- Returning "No Result" to Trackers who do not see their target go anywhere (in favor of "Your target did not visit anyone")
- Alignments other than Mafia/Werewolf, Pro-Town, and Serial Killer (no Survivor, Lyncher, or Jester).
- Hydra accounts
- Differing kill flavor for different factions - everyone that dies at night should flip in the same way (e.g., "died during the night" or "was found dead")
- Mechanical changes which must be announced beforehand include:
- Mafia may have daytalk without an Encryptor as long as it is announced in the game's rules beforehand.
- Unless stated otherwise in their rules, games should use Natural Action Resolution.
- Games must have a continous day/night cycle (e.g., no Nightless or Double Day)
- Roles which are explicitly Normal for any alignment include:Bodyguard, Commuter, Sane Cop, Doctor, Follower, Gunsmith, Jack of All Trades, Jailkeeper, Motion Detector, Neapolitan, Neighbor, Neighborizer, Roleblocker, Rolecop, Rolestopper, Tracker, Universal Backup, Vanilla Cop, Voyeur, Watcher
- Roles which are explicitly Normal for Town include:Vanilla Townie, Friendly Neighbor, Innocent Child, Mason, Miller, Vigilante, any roles listed as "for any alignment"
- Roles which are explicitly Normal for Mafia only include:Mafia Goon, Encryptor, Ninja, Strongman, Traitor, any roles listed as "for any alignment"
- Roles which are explicitly Normal for Serial Killer only include:Serial Killer, Ninja, Strongman, any roles listed as "for any alignment"
- Modifiers which are explicitly Normal for any alignment include:Ascetic, Backup (with or without primary role present), Bulletproof, Enabler (with or without primary role present), Even/Odd Night, Macho, Neighbor, Night Specific, Non-Consecutive Night, Weak, X-Shot
- Roles which are explicitly Non-Normal include:Non-Sane Cop, Blank Vig, Non-Sane or Quack Doctor, Janitor, Survivor, Lyncher, Cultist, Jester, Mafia Mason, Bus Driver, Lightning Rod, Nexus, Redirector, Framer, Vanillaizer, Beloved Princess, Arsonist, Governor, Godfather
- Modifiers which are explicitly Non-Normal include:Delayed, Percentage
- Normal Games may use any amount of approved roles (so long as there is at least one Vanilla Townie) in conjunction with approved modifiers.
- New/variant roles may be included in limited number (no more than 1 in a Mini, 2 in a Large), and should be based on the usual role mechanics: Killing, Protecting, Investigating, Blocking, Voting, Enabling and Communication.
- Any new roles without a wiki page must flip with their Role PM (redactions permitted). A Rolecop investigation of the same role should be similar, without alignment.
- Games which are otherwise Normal may still be more suited to a different Queue. For example, a game with a large number of Doctors may be better run as an Open Game (after review in the Open Discussion Thread) or as a "Hospital" Themed Game.