Despite the name, multiple roles can have these sanities. The Cop is by far the most common investigative role to be non-sane. Sanity/role combinations that have not been theorised on the forums have been devised by BwBurke and are in italics. The most common sanities are Insane, Naïve and Paranoid.
A sane investigative role receives normal results.
- A sane Cop receives an innocent result for Town members, and a guilty result for Mafia members.
- A sane Role Cop receives the name of the target's role, but not their alignment.
- A sane Tracker learns the name(s) of all people targeted by their target.
- A sane Follower learns what action(s) their target performed.
- A sane Watcher learns the name(s) of all people who targeted their target.
- A sane Voyeur learns what actions were performed on their target.
An insane investigative role receives the opposite result of a sane role.
- An insane Cop receives a guilty result for Town members, and an innocent result for Mafia members.
- An insane Role Cop receives a power role as a result for Vanilla roles, and a Vanilla role as a result for power roles.
- An insane Tracker receives the results of a sane Watcher, and vice versa.
- An insane Follower receives the results of a sane Voyeur, and vice versa.
A paranoid investigative role always receives a guilty result.
- A paranoid Cop receives a guilty result no matter who they target.
- A paranoid Role Cop receives a power role considered "scummy" (mod's discretion) as a result.
- A paranoid Tracker receives the name of the scum kill's target as a result.
- A paranoid Follower receives the "kill" action as a result.
- A paranoid Watcher targeting a nightkill target receives a random name as a result. Otherwise, they receive a blank result.
- A paranoid Voyeur targeting a nightkill target receives the "kill" action as a result. Otherwise, they receive a blank result.
A naive investigative role always receives an innocent result.
- A naive Cop receives an innocent result no matter who they target.
- A naive Role Cop receives Vanilla as a result.
- A naive Tracker, Follower, Watcher, or Voyeur receives a blank result.
A random investigative role receives a random result -- normally the result a sane investigation would receive from a randomly chosen living person. The randomly chosen person, if the mod chooses to go this route, cannot be the person doing the investigation in the first place.
A percentage modifier can be used as a sanity, if a Naive result is received when the ability fails. This is generally considered bastard.