The Motion Detector, sometimes known as a variant of Reporter, is an informative role that can target a player at Night and learn if any actions were performed by or on that player, but not what the actions were or who else they involved.
Motion Detectors can be of either alignment.
Sometimes a Motion Detector checks only for actions performed by their target, or only for actions performed on their target.
The Motion Detector has very few variants; however, there are many related Roles:
- The Tracker learns who a player targeted, but not what action that player performed.
- The Follower learns what action a player performed, but not who that player targeted.
- The Watcher learns who targeted a player, but not what actions were performed on them.
- The Voyeur learns what actions were performed on a player, but not who targeted them.
- The Motion Detector learns if any actions were performed by or on a player, but not what they were, or who else was involved.
A Motion Detector is considered Normal on mafiascum.net. A Motion Detector should receive the same result if they see an action being performed by their target as they would if they see an action being performed on their target (and the same if they see both). If their target is Ascetic or targeted by a Rolestopper, they should receive a "No Result" pm, the same as if they'd been blocked themselves. A Motion Detector would not see a Ninja performing a kill.